District Cup Fall 2013

Several Santa Cruz City YSC competitive teams reached their finals at the Fall 2013 District Cup Tournament on Sunday, November 10, at Morgan Hill.

U-9 Girls team Jaws 04 Blue won the Copper Division final.  The girls won a thrilling 2-1 overtime win against the Alpine Strikers. The team is coached by Tauna Able and Will Hodges.

U-11 Boys team Sharks 02 White had a very strong showing at the tournament, losing a hard fought 2-1 final match to earn the 2nd place award in the Copper Division. Kudos to this team for continuing to work hard in their 3rd year of existence!

U-12 Girls team Jaws 01 Blue won the Gold/Silver Division for a 2nd year in a row after being seeded last in a 7 team bracket.  First up in the tournament were the undefeated 1st place Gold team, Pacifica Strikers.  Despite numerous excellent scoring chances, the Jaws tied 0-0.  Next up were the tough San Carlos Blitz, another hard fought game with a 0-0 score.  Jaws qualified to go to the Semi Finals with 8 points and played the Alpine Strikers.  This game also ended with a 0-0 score, going directly to penalty kicks.  Goalie Chloe Hammig-Gerwin saved two penalty shots and scored a shot along with two of her teammates Esme Brigham,  and Elliot Sandford to give the Jaws a trip to the Championship against San Carlos Blitz.  Another nail-biter was scoreless through regular time and two 5 min sudden death overtimes and again they headed to the penalty spot.  Goalie Chloe saved another shot and shooters, Chloe, Esme, Elliot and Mia Locatelli decisively helped their team win the District Cup Championship for the second year in a row.

U-12 Boys team Sharks 01 Blue won the Silver Division in a 4-3 final.

U-13 Girls team Jaws 00 Blue won the Bronze A Division.  After two wins and two draws to finish atop their group on points the girls played in their final game against their current Bronze A Division 2nd place rival, the South San Jose Earthquakes.  Needing only a draw to take first, the team took a 1-0 lead into the half.  SSJE came back with a goal ten minutes in the second half, but the Jaws defense held off numerous attacks to end the game 1-1 and take the first place trophy home to Santa Cruz.