The club offers advanced player training programs that utilize different formats than the youth Fall League teams. The focus of the advanced training programs is the soccer player's individual development.
Spring 4v4 Soccer (Registration is Closed)
Spring 4v4 is geared towards motivated/advanced players, using a fast-paced, high-touch environment to further increase their game time thought process and touch. Small-sided 4v4 games are the preferred developmental format of youth coaches worldwide. To participate, players must have some understanding of the game of soccer.
- The 2014 4v4 League runs April 6 to May 18.
- Final week at Main Beach (between the Coconut Grove and the wharf) to kick off the Beach Soccer Season.
- Participants play 7 game days and have 6 training sessions, all guided by a professional coaching staff.
- Training sessions focus on technical skills building, while encouraging quick decision making.
- Game days are geared towards on-field strategy. First half of games are instructional, second half instruction-free.
- Cost $115. Registration has closed for the 2014 session.
Poul Schiebel is the 4v4 program director and can answer your questions by email.
10 Reasons to Play 4v4
- Building Skills - 4v4 rewards the same basic skills, tactics and knowledge of the game as the 11v11 outdoor game.
- Ball Touches - Players will get 10x the touches of an 11v11 game.
- Ball Control - With limited space, an out of bounds and constant opponent pressure, improved ball control skills and technique are required.
- Speed of Play - With limited space, constant opponent pressure players learn to play and think fast.
- Mandatory Support - With only 4 players, players must make supporting runs when their teammates have the ball.
- Continuity of Play - Action is continuous so players are forced to continue the play instead of stopping and watching.
- Knowledge - With four field players and all the basic options of the outdoor game in non-stop action mode, players' understanding of the game is enhanced.
- Goals - The goal are a perfect size for narrowing the angle so teams learn to frame the goal to score goals. Numerous goal scoring opportunities.
- Encouraged Learning - Coaches and trainers encourage playing a skilled game by encouraging creativity through trial and error.
- Fun - Players enjoy the challenge of playing a fast-paced-fun-skill-oriented game that test their abilities.
U7 - Players born after August 1, 2006
Training Days (Thursdays): Branciforte Middle School 4-5pm on April 10, 17, 24, May 1, 8. Main Beach 4-5pm on May 15.
Game Days (Sundays): Branciforte Middle School 1-2pm on April 6, 13, 20, 27, May 4, 11. Main Beach (final game and BBQ) 11am-12pm on May 18.
U9 - Players born between August 1, 2004 and July 31, 2006
Training Days (Thursdays): Branciforte Middle School 5-6pm on April 10, 17, 24, May 1, 8. Main Beach 5-6pm on May 15.
Game Days (Sundays): Branciforte Middle School 2:15-3:15pm on April 6, 13, 20, 27, May 4, 11. Main Beach (final game and BBQ) 12:15pm-1:15pm on May 18.
U11 - Players born between August 1, 2002 and July 31, 2004
Training Days (Fridays): Branciforte Middle School 4-5:30pm on April 11, 18, 25, May 2, 9. Main Beach 4-5:30pm on May 16.
Game Days (Sundays): Branciforte Middle School 3:30-4:30pm on April 6, 13, 20, 27, May 4, 11. Main Beach (final game and BBQ) 1:30pm-2:30pm on May 18.
U14 - Players born between August 1, 1999 and July 31, 2002
Training Days (Fridays): Branciforte Middle School 5:30-7pm on April 11, 18, 25, May 2, 9. Main Beach 5:30-7pm on May 16.
Game Days (Sundays): Branciforte Middle School 4:45-6pm on April 6, 13, 20, 27, May 4, 11. Main Beach (final game and BBQ) 2:45pm-4pm on May 18.
During winter, in the period between the Fall league and Spring league (competitive teams) or Spring 4v4 (all advanced players), the Santa Cruz City YSC sponsors weekly futsal pickup games indoors. The games are perfect for developing ball-control, precision passing, and fast decision making.
Starting January 25, and running through February and March (except for 3/22), with the final game on April 5.
Based on last fall's age groups (two age groups combined):
U-10 will meet from 1 - 2:20pm.
U-12 will meet from 2:20 - 3:40pm.
U-14 will meet from 3:40 - 5pm.
Cost will be $70 per player and limited to 20 players per-age group.
Games will be 'Pick-up' style - casual, so attending all ten weeks is not mandatory.
Fall Striker/Goalkeeper Training
During the Fall season Santa Cruz City YSC holds free drop-in Striker & Goalkeeper training for boys and girls who play on one of the club's teams.